Just some basic research about “PEARS”
FYI: it’s pronounced “peers”; at least that’s what I was taught…
A “Titanic” casualty…
Are the descendents of the George Pears / Evelina Hyde union heirs to the Pears Soap fortune?
Probably not -
No more than we are distant cousins to the Malone and Hyde wholesale distributor wealth…
HYDE - Obs. "A unit of land corresponding to a peasant's family estate." That’s me, anyway…a peasant.
In other words, if you’re Pears/Gean stock, Your dna is good, but the fruit fell too far from the tree…
(It’s ‘eye’ pun, y’all).
Interesting: “Gean” is a Cherry Tree…ouch.
There's some pictorial lineage documentation here including handwritten documents. Undergoes almost daily updates...
Now, what's below is for curiosity's sake....:
3956. JOHN PEARS OR MICHELL was born 1569 in . was buried 3 Jun 1637 in , Helston, Cornwall, Uk. JOHN married Jone CARVERTH on 7 Dec 1598 in , Wendron, Cornwall, Uk.
3957. Jone CARVERTH was born 1573 in . was buried 13 Mar 1618 in , Helston, Cornwall, Uk.
Mary Ann HALES
Born about 1800 of Bury, Suffolk, England. Married about 1821 Joseph PEARS. He was born about 1797 of Bury, Suffolk, England.
M- Joseph PEARS; christened 1 AUG 1822 at Saint Mary, Saint Edmunds, Bury, Suffolk, England.
17 M v Harry Stanley was born 1880 in 15 Liverpool St., Aston. He died 26 Dec 1961 in 7 Fast Pits Road, South Yardley, Birmingham, England.
Harry married Louisa Pears on 2 Apr 1899 in St. James Church, Ashted, Aston.
Parish of St. Jame's Ashted, County of Warwick, England
Ashted (St James the Less), WAR (IGI)
Aston-juxta-Birmingham, WAR (IGI)
ASHTED - St James the Less, Ashted.
Formerly at Barrack Street/Great Brook Street (A-Z: C2 74)
Daughter Parish of Aston - 1853.
Opened for divine service 1791.
Badly damaged in WWII.
St James', Ashted - formerly the residence of Dr Ash, a celebrated
physician. Converted into a chapel by an attorney in 1789. Purchased by C of E in 1791 on said attorney's bankruptcy. Known as the 'Barrack Chapel' from a special service for troops on Sunday mornings.
ASTON, a parish in the Birmingham division of the hundred of HEMLINGFORD, county of WARWICK, 2.1 miles (N.E. by E.) from Birmingham, containing, with the chapelries of Bordesley and Deritend, 19,189 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Coventry, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £21. 4. 9½., and in the patronage of the Rev. G. Peak. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, has a handsome tower and spire in the later style of English architecture, with other parts of an earlier date, but much modernized: the chancel contains some altar-tombs with effigies. The Birmingham and Fazely canal passes through this parish. In 1820, a chapel in the later style of English architecture was erected at Bordesley, at an expense of £ 12,722. 15. 1., by subscription of the inhabitants, aided by a grant from the parliamentary commissioners; and, in 1822, another was erected at Erdington, at the expense of £5657. l l., solely by grant of the commissioners. An almshouse for five men and five women was founded and endowed by Sir Thomas Holt, Bart., in the reign of James 1. ; the present building was erected by his grandson, about the year 1650. [Lewis 1831]
ASTON, ward and ry. sta. L.M.S., Warwickshire, in bor. of Birmingham. At Aston Hall Charles I. Was entertained prior to the battle of Edge Hill. [Bartholomew 1943]
Jane Pears was born 20 Sep 1808 in Robinson House, Near Plumpton, Cumbria, England and was christened 26 Sep 1808 in Hesket-in-the-Forest, Cumberland, England. She died 7 May 1884 in Hesket in the Forest, Cumberland, England and was buried 10 May 1884 in Hesket-in-the-Forest, Cumberland, England. Jane married William Heskett on 30 Jan 1840 in Hesket in the Forest, Cumberland, England.
Victoria Lodge No. 474, Toronto
· William Pears
· Corporal Died on January 12th 1919
· Buried Epsom Cemetery, Surrey, U. K.
· Regiment Canadian Infantry
Sheriffs of Buckinghamshire
John Sparke, Esq. Seat, Chip. Wycombe. Arms, Checque Or and Vert, a Bend Ermine
Anno, 1714. George, I.
Edward Sparke, Esq. Seat, and Arms, as before.
Anno 1625, Charles I.
Thomas Hyde, Bart. Arms, Or a Chevron between three Lozenges Azure, on a Chief Gules an Eagle displayed of the Field.
Armour, R Q
Marriage: ABT. 1913
Birth : 8 APR 1887 Ontario, Canada ?
Townsley, Sarah Ann
Birth : ABT. NOV 1831 Selby, Yorkshire
Death : 6 JUL 1914 Ontario, Canada ?
Marriage: ABT. 1852
Birth : 12 OCT 1826 England
Death : 28 JAN 1912 Ontario, Canada
Birth : ABT. 1854 Ontario, Canada ?
Birth : ABT. 1860
ALICE SAUNDERS, daughter of Edmund Saunders of Long Sutton, who married Walter Pears of the celebrated Pears’ Soap family ("He won’t be happy till he gets it");
1812 - Andrew Pears from Mevagissey, founder of the Pears Soap Company, perfected the process of refining soap. In November 1807 Andrew Pears discovered a unique process for making pure, transparent soap.
History of the Soap Bubble
Bubbles themselves have been around forever. They are as much a part of nature as the air we breathe, and the planet we live on. However, the art of actually making bubbles for play became more common since the invention and mass production of refined soap.We have Mr. Pears, at the Pears Soap Company of London, England, to thank for that innovation.
Andrew Pears arrived in London in 1789 from his native Cornish village of Mevagissey intending to start manufacturing beauty supplies and providing in-home beauty aids sales in Soho - then an affluent and fashion-conscious suburb of London.
Harsh soaps of the day caused damage to the skin, and his Gerrard Street shop was used to make rouges, powders, dentifrices, creams, and other beauty aids that many of London's wealthiest families used extensively.
Pears Soap Company became very successful, and he began to see the potential in creating a process that would refine soap to be more gentle on the skin. After much trial and error, he eventually perfected his method of removing impurities from the base soap, and adding fine perfumes. This method is very similar to the methods still in use today.
The end result for Andrew Pears was a fine, gentle, and transparent square of soap that cemented his firm in a position that would see the company span three generations and nearly 200 years of profitable operation.
The refinement of the manufacturing process of soap produced a material far more suitable for making bubbles than what had been available. The addition (and removal) of certain components made bubble-blowing worthwhile primarily because it made them last much longer.
Bubble solution is more than just soap. The properties of the solution directly affect the quality of the bubbles you make. So it is with the improvement of the soap that we begin to see other enterprising individuals inventing and producing the toys to make the bubbles.
There are a few depictions of children blowing bubbles with clay pipes in 17th century Flemish paintings, and it is widely believed that generations of 18th and 19th century mothers gave their children leftover washing soap to blow bubbles with.
But not until the early 1900's did we begin to see street peddlers and pitchmen selling bubble blowing kits as toys. And at that time, the most common instrument used was a pipe.
The well-known modern instrument - a circle on a stick attached to a bubble solution jar cap - was produced in large quantities by a company called Chemtoy (a chemical company that manufactured cleaning supplies) in the early 1940's. This company was acquired by a larger company - Tootsietoys - who put the bubble making toys into full-scale retail distribution by the latter part of the same decade.
Today, bubble-related toys are manufactured by many companies around the world, distributing more than 200 million bubble toys to bubble fans every year!
©Copyright 2001 World of Magic. All rights reserved.
In London, soapmaker Andrew Pears introduced Pears Soap--still known for its oval shape and translucent amber color. Pears Soap became one of the first brand name products purchased in American households.
The birth of pears
soap began with its originator, Andrew Pears, who arrived in London in 1789 from
his native Cornish village of Mevagissey, where he had trained as a barber. He
opened premises in Gerrard Street, Soho - then a fashionable residential area -
and was soon enjoying considerable patronage from wealthy families, whose
tonsorial needs were attended to by Pears in their own homes. The Gerrard Street
shop was used for the manufacture and sale of rouges, powders, creams,
dentifrice's and other beauty aids-preparations used extensively by the rich to
cover up the damage caused by the harsh soaps then used in
The astute Cornishman recognized the potential of a purer, more gentle soap which would treat more kindly the delicate alabaster complexions then in favor (the upper classes unfavorably associated tanned faces with those of the lower orders who were obliged to toil out of doors for a living). He set about perfecting a manufacturing process for such a product and after much trial and error hit upon a method - which remains substantially similar even today- involving removing impurities and refining the base soap before adding the delicate perfume of English garden flowers. Not only was this product of high quality, it also possessed the great novelty value of being transparent. And it was this latter aspect which gave Pears Soap just the image it needed to be clearly identified by the public.
Though other products were manufactured alongside the transparent soap for many, many years , it was clear almost from the very start that Andrew Pears' fortune would be vested in his shilling and half crown squares of amber soap. In 1835 he took on a partner, his grandson Francis Pears, and they moved to new premises at 55 Wells Street, just off the busy shopping thoroughfare of Oxford Street. The business had consolidated to such an extent that three years later old Andrew was able to retire, leaving Francis in sole charge.
Andrew Pears' legacy was a solid, if not particularly extensive or go ahead trading concern. Andrew Pears was a cautious man, and he cared more for the quality of the products that bore his name than the number of people who bought them. Dogged by inferior imitations, at one stage he even went so far as to sign personally every package he sold. Because of the high price of his products, the market for them was necessarily an exclusive one, and there was little need or point in extensive advertising to try and widen this. Expenditure on sales promotion in the early Victorian period rarely exceeded ,80 per annum.
Sensing the impending stagnation of the firm, and recognizing the increasing buying power of the middle classes, Francis Pears realized that unless he developed and expanded the family firm he would soon be pushed to one side by more competitive rivals. New offices were opened in Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury, and in 1862 he bought a house and land at Isleworth in Middlesex, where he built a factory which he placed under the dominion of his young son Andrew. Widespread changes soon took place in the sedate and gentlemanly atmosphere of the West End offices, and into the firm came a new partner, Thomas J. Barratt, who had married Francis Pears' eldest daughter Mary. Barratt was far sighted, aggressive, willing to take risks and infinitely resourceful. Within months he had completely revolutionized Pears' distribution system and was turning his hand towards improving the firm's sales performance by means of expensive and highly original publicity schemes. All this was too much even for Francis Pears, who, fearing imminent bankruptcy, withdrew from the firm, taking most of the money and leaving only 4000 pounds as a loan to be discharged equally by his son and Barratt, who were to remain in sole charge of the business.
Barratt has many modern counter parts in the advertising agencies of Madison Avenue, and his methods were to become widely followed. He imported a quarter of a million French ten centime pieces (accepted in lieu of a penny in Britain), had the name 'Pears' stamped on every one of them and put the coins into circulation. Since there was no law forbidding the defacing of foreign currency, his scheme earned Pears much valuable publicity until an Act of Parliament could be hastily introduced to declare all foreign coinage illegal tender. The offending coins were withdrawn from circulation and melted down. He persuaded prominent skin specialists, doctors and chemists to give glowing testimonials to Pears Soap; among these were Sir Erasmus Wilson, President of the Royal College of Surgeons, and Doctor Redwood, Professor of Chemistry and Pharmacy to the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, who personally guaranteed that Pears Soap possessed 'the properties of an edicient yet mild detergent without any of the objection able properties of ordinary soaps'. Such endorsements were boldly displayed in magazine and newspaper advertise meets, as handbills and on posters. Lillie Langtry, a highly popular actress of the day, cheerfully gave Barratt a commendation for Pears Soap (for which, as with the other illustrious patrons, no fee was asked) and he broke into the American market by persuading the enormously influential religious leader Henry Ward Beecher to equate cleanliness, and Pears Soap in particular, with Godliness - Barratt promptly buying up the whole of the front page of the New York Herald on which to display this glowing testimonial. It seemed no stone was left unturned in Barratt's endless search for good publicity. Infants whose arrival in the world was commemorated in the columns of The Times received a complimentary cake of soap and pictorial advertising leaflets by courtesy of Barratt. His most audacious publicity scheme, which in the end failed to get off the ground, was the offer of ,100,000 to the British Government to buy the back page of a contemporary national census form for Pears' use. Had he succeeded, Barratt would have put his firm's name before 35,000,000 people's eyes.
Pears advertising, to suit its brand image, was tasteful and restrained, needing no recourse to the hyperbolics often encountered elsewhere in the period we are considering. The message was simple: that Pears Soap was safe and healthy and that it made its users beautiful. Their appeal is simple and immediate, requiring no sophisticated interpretation: they provoke an emotional rather than intellectual response. Barratt aimed, he said, to make his advertisements 'telling, artistic, picturesque, attractive, pretty, amusing' - and of course commercially successful. If for nothing more than that they took art out of the galleries and into homes and streets, thus brightening the humdrum lives of ordinary people, they are worthy of remembrance.
Mr Thomas Clinton Pears, 29, was born on 7 May 1882 the fourth son of Andrew Pears. He had five brothers and three sisters. He was the great great grandson of Andrew Pears, the founder of the soap-manufacturing company, A & F Pears Ltd, and the grandson of Francis Pears the two executives initials forming the name of the company.
Unlike Thomas, the eldest brother Francis did not go into the family business, but after his marriage to the daughter of the Vicar of Holy Trinity, Twickenham, went with his younger brother Roger, the fifth son, to Burma where they ran a successful India Rubber Plantation.
Tom joined the family soap manufacturing firm in 1903 and was eventually appointed manager of the Lanadron Works situated at the back of Lanadron House on the corner of London Road and Linkfield Road, Isleworth. He was not a director of the firm of A & F Pears but he was certainly a director of a subsidiary firm, Lanadron Rubber Estates Ltd. He was responsible for the profitable running of the Isleworth Works and also of Lanadron Rubber's estates in Malaya.
Tom was married on 15 September 1910 to Edith Wearne and they lived at "Mevagissey" (named after the Cornish village where the family had originally lived), St Johns Road, Isleworth, Middlesex.
Between them they had a wide circle of friends in the neighbourhood and Edith was reported as endearing herself to all those who knew her. They worshipped together at St John the Baptist Church, Woodlands, Isleworth, where Tom had been proposed as a sidesman.
Tom was a popular and respected manager and a keen sportsman. He supported the Pears' Athletic Club and participted in motor car and motor cycle races. Two gold medals remain in the possession of the Crowe family. The inscriptions the medals record his participation in 'The 23 Hours Run, London - Edinburgh on May 28-29, 1908 Car' and 'The 24 Hours Run, London to Edinburgh, June 5th and 6th, 1908, Car'. Tom had had the two medals mounted as table napkin rings, inscribed 'T.P' and 'E.P' respectively.
In 1912, three years after his father's death, Tom prepared to cross the Atlantic, possibly to look at a site for his company's expansion into America. He boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a first class passenger (ticket number 113776 £66, 12s), he and Edith occupied cabin C-2.
At 6.05 p.m. on 13 April a radio message was sent from the Titanic via the S.S. Potsdam to the company's Isleworth Works, which read 'All well, telephone Hampstead [his wife's family address] and Pyrford'. The message would not arrive at the works until 1.30pm on Monday 15 April leading to considerable confusion over whether Mr Pears had survived or not.
Edith was rescued in lifeboat 8.
Back in Isleworth, the above wireless transmission was not received until after news of the sinking and it was incorrectly assumed that both Tom and Edith had been saved. Later when neither name appeared in the published lists of survivors the gravest fears began to be entertained as to their safety, especially when it was realised on the 16th April that the wireless message had preceded the disaster. A cable sent on 18 April from the Carpathia said 'Edith safe, all hope for Tom'. A second cable, which seemed to be reliable, reported that both had been lost but, shortly afterwards, a third cable was received from English friends in New York that Mrs Pears was in good health and was staying with them at the Hotel Woodward and that she intended to sail for home on 20 April 1912. By now it was known that Tom had indeed perished at sea.
Memorial services for Tom Pears included one held on Sunday 21 April at St John's, Isleworth, attended by about 1,200 people, including many of his local workforce, collections at these services were donated to local charities that he had been connected with.
Probate was registered 19 August 1912 to John and Roland Pears effects to the value of £16,763 10 7d.
Tom Pears is named on the family memorial at Isleworth Cemetery, Middlesex.
Marriages from the Hexham Registers (1800-1837)
22 Jan 1805 George Pears = Mary Armstrong
26 Mar 1836 Francis Pears = Hannah Armstrong
Marriages from the Hexham Registers (1750-1799)
26 Mar 1771 George Pears = Barbara Fewster
The BIRMINGHAM file is taken from Wrightson's Triennial Directory for 1818 and includes all entries. Using it you can find all its diverse trades. The copyright of the file is strictly retained (09-Apr-89). The data comprises five fields: